L-System Tree Trunk Shape and smooth growth

RickWork

Hi,

I'm working on an l-system for tree growth and have come across the problem of getting the shape I want for my tree trunk.

I have a specific look that I need and I don't think I can do this with just the l-system rules. My thought is to use geometry and grow the branches and such off my initial trunk shape. The problem is, I don't know how to grow the l-system off say the top points of the tree trunk. Do you have suggestions on how to tackle this?

I noticed that if I animate the generations of the l-system for growth, I'm getting a very choppy effect. Is there a way to smooth out this growth?

cheers

That's odd, if you have continous angles and lengths on, which are on by default, it should grow smoothly.

Personally I'd hand build the trunk get your lsystem working how you want the then just stitch the two together. I think you'll find that the "trunk" of the lsystem is always 0 so once you have built a connecting piece it should still work even if you change the number of branches in your lsystem.

That's odd, if you have continous angles and lengths on, which are on by default, it should grow smoothly.

uhmn, I'll have to dig deeper into this then. When I animate the generations from 0 - 20 over 200 frames. I can see a pause during each recursion. I changed the fcurve and I can't get rid of this pause. I'm looking for a smooth transition between each generation.

Personally I'd hand build the trunk get your lsystem working how you want the then just stitch the two together. I think you'll find that the "trunk" of the lsystem is always 0 so once you have built a connecting piece it should still work even if you change the number of branches in your lsystem.

14532[/snapback]

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

thought i'd finally fill in here and decided to throw this up on the wiki since the L-System section was lacking anyways..

hope this helps you out.. let me know if there's any problems with what i wrote and also feel free to edit and change..

also, if there are any other questions you would like to have answered in the FAQ there, post them and i'm sure there will be a few people taking a stab at it to help out.

thanks,

dave

http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/L-Systems