Where to Find Destructible Geometry?

rolfcoppter

Hey guys,

Im looking to do a building destruction shot and I was wondering the best approach to building or finding destructible geometry.

So my questions are...

1. What should I be looking for in geo?

2. What should i be avoiding?

3. Is there a website i can find some finished models or examples?

4. Is it better to just model everything in a procedural way?

hi, 

1) depends very much what you are trying to create and what level of detail you want. its hard to give you a general answer on this. one thought is that usually you want to have a geometry pieces separated as in real world so you can make them fall apart in a realistic way more easily. For example if you have a brick wall its good to have actual bricks modeled as a separate meshes, not just an extruded grid with a brick texture. But again it all depends on what level of detail are you going for. From a large distance or with very large sims you may want to simplify things.  

2) geo that is not manifold (does not have a closed volume) is usually causing problems. interpenetrating polygons are causing problems too. very small collision geometry may be problem sometimes. scale of the model is important too. simulating a brick wall that is 5cm in scene units will look odd.

3) dont know about any

4) its totally up to you how do you feel comfortable to do things. modeling inside houdini can give you a nice workflow benefits thou and I would encourage you to do that.

good luck. d.

• Like 1

I don´t get you. ALL geometry is potentially destructible,...and in fact, it should be destroyed! the faster, the better!  :P

Sorry I didn't read over that post before i posted it and didn't realize how unclear I was. What really meant say I'm looking for free models on turbo squid what kind of things should i avoid in the mesh and if there was website or links to examples. 

Death to all geo!

i think you can hardly find free models ready for destruction on internet. even commercial models typically contain lot of issues that are not visible at the first look and have to be fixed for proper use. That may be quite time consuming. Lot of times building your own model is faster that fixing the one bought on internet.

Edited by davpe