Polygon Surface to Cube Breakup

Mdonovan

I am sure this has been discussed here before. I am about to dive into an effect concerning breaking a polygonal surface into cubes. like the borgmann nissan 'wouldnt it be cool' I want it to look as seamless as mootz emtopolizer.  I am assuming my approach will be to use the copy sop to put cubes in a volume and then advect them with fluid. Has anyone done anything like this ? i'd hate to spend days on something that is trivial. i am wondering how to handle scale and normals for the cubes so they look like they are the actual surface breaking apart.

Does anyone have an thoughts or pointers before i leap in ? Thanks.

post-9575-0-94262400-1435593139_thumb.jp

Edited by Mdonovan

Hey,

There might be better ways, pretty sure someone else will come up with something... but of the top of my head think u can use 'points from volume' node with the copy sop for the interior of your pieces if u want to fill them up. For the outside where u want to keep seamless geo from ure model, maybe voronoi or break sops with a grid. After just assemble everything and sim as packed prims in bullet.

Hope it helps.

M

Im looking a bit deeper into Mootz's stuff ... it looks like he is making a particles out of the centroid of each polygon once it is made into an island. Then the extruded polygon island is constrained back to the centroid/particle in order to follow whatever force is applied to the particle. It does look like he is deriving the normals of each island from the original mesh so it looks completely smooth before the particles move.

that is my pseudo code for what is happening at least .. haha .. now I need a guru to tell me how to go about this .. lol.

Not 100% sure what you're trying to achieve, but here a file that shows a very simple way of creating this fx. You can simply fracture your geometry in cube, so most of the pieces will end up being cubes and you will get the perfect transition you're looking for with the outside pieces.

Another way to go if you really want all the pieces to end up being cubes is to scale down the object pieces and scale up some cubes, both pieces being instanced on the same simulated points. The transition has to happens while the pieces are animated for it to be hidden in the motion blur, but I don't think this is necessary for this kind of fx.

cubeFracture_v001.hip

yeah this is exactly the idea !

i don't think its the same approach because you are doing a rbd sim instead of a particle sim .. but it looks awesome and close the the effect I was after. Nice and clean solution ! 

i still want to explore using the facet sop + the primitive sop + polyextrude to separate polygonal topology and then move the pieces around in POPS. I don't know how to attach the primitives back to centroid particles.

This example I am just manipulating the primitive directly using the primitive SOP. =(

post-9575-0-22352700-1435752311_thumb.jp

post-9575-0-31972200-1435752315_thumb.jp

post-9575-0-44828800-1435752327_thumb.jp

post-9575-0-86790500-1435752332_thumb.jp

Edited by Mdonovan

But when you uses bullet solver in dops pieces really be a instance on specific points so you can control them like particles(you can use particles wrangles and forces), but still are pretty fast bullet sim with collisions so what you don't want use RBD solver?

i was thinking about speed more than anything ... but I think you are right ... bullet is very fast and the collisions are a huge plus.

Is it pretty easy to convert primitives into rbd instances? The voronio is pretty sweet, but I would love to use the topology of the object to create my pieces. I need to create 'pieces' manually.

Edited by Mdonovan