Export alembic with Python

Milan

I'm either blind or overworked, but I can't for life of me find any information about exporting alembic data from houdini via python rather than using alembic ROP. 

Does anyone have any pointers whether this is possible in houdini or are python bindings missing completely?

Cheers

The simplest way it will be write function that will build temp rop network with alembic rop inside.

From doc for alembic extensions

Contains utility functions for extracting information from Alembic files.

Edited by oslo

Yeah I found the alembic extensions but as Oslo mentioned, it's of no use for exporting.

Feels like guys at SESI left the alembic integration at a halfway point, which is a bit shame. Creating dop network with alembic rop should of course work, but it feels like an ugly hack to something that I (apparently incorrectly) consider one of the basic functions of a software.

Oh well, can't be Christmas everyday.

yeah, it would be nice if sesi included the standard alembic python bindings as part of houdini. but i guess then they'd need to supply the source code and then end up supporting it, so i could understand why they didn't.  it's also possible that the houdini integration is actually done by the alembic team and not sesi.  there is houdini-centric code in the alembic repository which makes me think it's possible that's where the integration originated.