string/rope breaking tearing

soumitra.goswami

Hi,
I am working on a group project from school which requires me to break a string/rope in a realistic fashion. I have generated the string using a tool I wrote which gives me control on the construction of the string (a.k.a number of threads wrapped around each other).
What are the recommendations to create this effect.
1) Do I go the cloth tearing route( I can't seem to find that tool in my version of Houdini)
2) Go the fracturing route
3) Any other recommendations?

If you can guide me in the right direction so that I am not shooting in the dark, then it would be much appreciated.
Thanks a bunch. Regards,
Soumitra Goswami

P.S. - My university currently has Houdini 12.5.376 as its latest version.

Recently I tried procedural rope tearing using FEM in H13 (H14 wasn't out then). It was slow but worked out okay. I haven't tried FEM in H14 yet, but heard that its much faster now. Also I guess H14 supports tearing in wires...not sure.

Rainroom. I don't think the version of Houdini(12.5.376) I am using in my university has Finite Elements yet. If you have a suggestions on jerry rigging  it i might give it a go. Currently working on a lightning effect and will work on this right after that is done.