edge group by proximity / convert point group to edge group

Martin Schan

Hi I’m Martin and I’m new to this forum. I have been trying to get my head around Houdini for a year now, whenever I find the time. Fortunately with increasing success lately. Not least because of this great forum and it’s smart heads. So my thanks to you already. :)

Now to my question. I'd like to have a nice beveled edge geometry, with several polybevels that are feed automatically with the right selection of edges. And all that based on only one curve input. Sure, I can realise it with a fixed edge group selection, but I wan’t this to be flexible. So my idea was to create an edge group by proximity to the curve that defines that edge, with Attribute Transfer. That works fine with the downside, that I only get a point group and that doesn’t result in a nice beveled edge of course.

The file probably makes my problem clearer.

I did a little research and found a thread from 2006 with a similar problem.

The suggestion was to use a python node to generate an edge group. I pluged that python node into my scene and it did nothing. I also took a look at the code and yeah…ähm didn’t quite understand it. :) I did a little VEX already, but that python stuff exceeds my knowledge for now.

I also found a suggestion to format a string of points to a string that represents the edges. But I have no idea how to access the pattern field in a Group SOP and feed the formated string back into a new pattern field.

Do you guys have any suggestions or directions you can point me to? That would be great.

edge group by proximity.hipnc

I don't know why I didn't try this or saw this before, but the option to convert the points to edges under the Edit-tab works well. The only thing left is that the proximity-color-approach doesn't really create a clean caps loop. The polycap seems to be forgiving about that though. But it also does not work well with smaller segments from the resample node.

Any suggestions for a cleaner cap loop? I will try the Boundary Groups that Unshared Edges gives.

edge group by proximity 2.hipnc

Hi Konstantin,

thank your for sharing your idea. To delete the unwanted cap by area is a nice trick. And the profile approach is also very useful. Might be more flexible to control the shape of the edge that way. Maybe with two ramps, one for the X-Position and one for Y. I'll definitely try that.

Meanwhile I managed to get my cap loops with boundary edges and unshared edges. But your way is simpler and probably even less likely to break.

Greetings

Martin