--------------------------------------

Third Level  : Pyro Effects :

Pyro Effects in Houdini FXPHD

Volcano SidefX

------------------------------------------------

Four Level :  Destruction Topic

Destruction in Houdini By CgSocity

Houdini Embers And Ash By Cmivfx

These learning path for begineer user in houdini ، Good or not Good ?

I Want to tips before started

Hi, it depends on what suits you and what you want to do. the best learning path is different for every person. For example I think learning VEX as a beginner does not make too much sense bcs there are more fundamental topics you should cover first. But maybe youre more programming focused than I am and you will find it easy to understand. So start with whatever you want and you will see. Anyway I really recommend peter quint's short tutorials that are explaining things very well: https://vimeo.com/user2030228 Also Garman Herigstad's youtube channel is a very good resource for a beginner: https://www.youtube.com/user/vizylists/playlists

good luck. D. 

That is not a bad list, without knowing your background or experience there are some things I will recommend. I would focus more on fxphd than cmivfx or cgworkshop, I have gone through a lot of them and they are great and a lot cheaper than cgsociety, and personally I have found them to be just as good and some cases better courses.  The CMIVFX Houdini Embers and Ash is not really a destruction course, it has more to do with procedural effects.  With most of the courses on CMIVFX I have found that they tend be more focused on a cool new technique than general knowledge.  Once you know your way around houdini I would recommend signing up for their annual pass and work through a bunch of the courses.  Do you have any programming experience?  If not I would put the Vex workshop further down the list and do an intro to python or vops. 

The pyro fx in houdini by fxphd is quite outdated, I would look into some of the newer courses such as lighting and rendering explosions or some of their other destruction techniques.   I really enjoyed Hou 209 Dynamic Rigging, and Hou 213 creating dynamic destruction, and 208 mastering lighting and rendering with mantra (since most studios I have been the FX artist tends to light and render most of their own effects.  Hou 205 destruction in houdini was pretty good, but not as good as 213 in my opinion.

I am assuming that you are trying to get a job as an FX TD.  If you are looking to get into the film industry I would most of my focus on destruction and pyro fx, and do fluids once you are comfortable with them.  I have been working as an FX TD for a few years now and for every water shot I do, I get approximately 100 destruction or fx shots.   Another very important skill to know is compositing (mostly in nuke), a large part of the job is putting together slapcomps for dailies to see if your effects are working right.  Knowing Maya is also a very important thing since pretty much every studio has built their pipeline around it.

At the end of the day your best tool is trial and error, don't go through the tutorials and copy their settings.  See what they are doing and try and apply it to your own thing.   Just try stuff in houdini and if you get stuck search the forums, and if you still can't find what you are looking for then post a question, the houdini community is pretty generous with sharing information.  And most importantly never put tutorial material on your demo reel, we have seen all the tutorials and will recognize it.

• Like 2

At the end of the day your best tool is trial and error, don't go through the tutorials and copy their settings.  See what they are doing and try and apply it to your own thing.   Just try stuff in houdini and if you get stuck search the forums, and if you still can't find what you are looking for then post a question, the houdini community is pretty generous with sharing information.  And most importantly never put tutorial material on your demo reel, we have seen all the tutorials and will recognize it.

thank you very much ,  Cody Stoof

I should follow cgsocity and fxphd and cmivfx courses ، please tell me foundation courses I dont depend on courses in long time

I 'm very good in python language ,

what about sidefx tutorial is not good ?

What I should now before start in houdini ?

I Know Cmivfx and Fxphd that has a lot of powerfull courses ,

Thank You For Tip my Friend

Edited by mohamaedkamal

The tutorials from sidefx are a great starting place.  Working through their courses will give you a great starting foundation to begin building on.  Knowing python is great, once you work through the sidefx tutorials and are pretty comfortable with Houdini, then taking the CgSociety course on Vex will be beneficial.

While tutorial are helpful , i would not recommand following them.

Think in term of challenge , like i need to copy that fx. Then how to do that ? Ok this tutorial looks helpful i will grab some concept from it ...

But following tutorials for hours is boring and tend to shift your brain to a parrot mode and not to a problem solver mode.

I would recommand to first focus on deep understanding of houdini core with SOP / Group/ copy / attribute / wrangle / vop / vex / vector / basic algebra and then move to dop.

• Like 5

While tutorial are helpful , i would not recommand following them.

Think in term of challenge , like i need to copy that fx. Then how to do that ? Ok this tutorial looks helpful i will grab some concept from it ...

But following tutorials for hours is boring and tend to shift your brain to a parrot mode and not to a problem solver mode.

I would recommand to first focus on deep understanding of houdini core with SOP / Group/ copy / attribute / wrangle / vop / vex / vector / basic algebra and then move to dop.

Thank  , right