strange houdini behaviour

dirty

hi everyone,

i've got a lame question but i'm not sure how to fix it so...

anyway, in many cases when i'm in sops trying to edit some geometry i encounter some problems. namely when i apply 'edit' operation something's wrong going on. i'm asked to make my selection but nothing happens once i do it. pressing RMB doesn't execute the operation; moreover, i can't use spacebar+ LMR MB to zoom, tumble etc.... what i can do is only make/change the selection, which obviously makes it impossible to model anything. it only happens when i apply 'edit' operation. what's weird about it is that it sometimes happens and sometimes not. basically i think i may accidantelly be pressing some button(s) or turning some option(s) on/off. however, i can't figure it out...:/ any ideas?

one more thing. i'm used to using maya and often times i find myself pressing RMB to move and LMB to zoom and it's the other way round in houdini. i guess it's not a big deal but it would be nice to be able to configure it the way i want it. is it possible? i couldn't find any hotkeys for viewport zooming etc. in the hotkey manager.

thanks very much for any clues!

The UI is a bit unusual at first, but don't worry: after a few hours you'll feel quite at home. To get started with the UI I'd recommend giving the 3dbuzz Houdini Tutorials a closer look.

Anyhow, with the spacebar you should be able to tumble etc. all the time. My guess is that you try something similar as I did at first. I placed the edit OP in the network viewer and wondered why nothing really happens.

With your mouse over the viewport press 'tab' --> choose edit ... select --> RMB .. move the vertices / edges

When you're not familar with the shortcuts yet, expand the mini-bar on the left side of your viewport (by default it's just a bolder border thingy, but by clicking on it, you'll see many nice lil icons for selection types etc). Throughout Houdini there exist a couple of those and I didn't notice first as hidden bars. By default Houdini enables the safe selection mode: once you selected something you cannot deselect it until you unlock it. There is a lil lock icon in the little bar on the left of your viewport I mentioned. The shortcut for selecting is 's'.

Hope this helps a bit

Jens

Hi dirty,

It's a bug. A bunch of us here get that problem from time to time, it's exactly as you describe it. Unfortunately, it happens rather infrequently and we've had a really hard time reproducing it for the SESI guys. The general opinion seems to be that the viewport gets buggered in some way and can't recover from it. Only thing we can do is save our file, quit and restart Houdini.

I think it has something to do with particular users' workflow, because some people here get that problem from time to time, and other have never had that problem.

Ah .. now I think I know what you're talking about. This happens only on win though for me. Houdini's viewport freezes, but as soon as I press 'w' on the network editor panal (or whatever the shortcut was for treeview in the network editor is) and if I move the slider to scroll a tiny bit in the treeview listing everything seems back to normal. Possibly this is yet a different bug though...

Jens

ok, thanks a lot! i guess that would explain why it's so hard to trace the reason of such behaviour. anyway, since it's a bug i will just have to deal with it somehow. yeah, restarting Houdini does the trick.

TheDunadan: i think what you describe is just some other bug because in my case the viewport does not freez whatsoever.

Hi dirty,

It's a bug.  A bunch of us here get that problem from time to time, it's exactly as you describe it.  Unfortunately, it happens rather infrequently and we've had a really hard time reproducing it for the SESI guys.  The general opinion seems to be that the viewport gets buggered in some way and can't recover from it.  Only thing we can do is save our file, quit and restart Houdini.

I think it has something to do with particular users' workflow, because some people here get that problem from time to time, and other have never had that problem.

14969[/snapback]

I've ran into this very same problem since the introduction of the modeling tool in v5. I still ran into that every once in a while. Definitely annoying, but relaunch Houdini will solve the problem. I am going to try to see if I can get the problem to come up again for the next few week while I still have access to SESI developer on site. Who knows..

Yes, it's annoying but to work around the issue, you just have to hit Tab twice & you can reselect stuff again. Of course, you have to do it constantly until you restart Houdini but at least you can finish what you're doing.

This tip comes complimentary of Mcronin.

Cheers!

steven

14980[/snapback]

Ho ho ho. I didn't knwo that. Thanks Steven and Mcronin. :D