Scratch

Hey Folks,

I recently heard about Yannik F.'s Q-Solver Plugin for Realflow (275$) which looks really promising for small-scale liquid-simulations (good surface tension, sheeting, etc.)

In my opinion even better than some custom fusionCIS stuff). What do you guy's think about it?

(There's a lot more RnD stuff on Yannik F's Vimeo-channel)

Annother Example:

Release-Notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ud8qBa35r8

I'm (still) wondering if something like this is possible in Houdini.

I know that Alejandro Echeverry is working on some similar stuff (http://forums.odforce.net/topic/18111-flip-smorganicsheeter-effect/) , but his tool is to my knowledge not yet finished and available for public use. Is there something similar in H? I did some small-scale stuff a few weeks ago, it turned out ok, but the results couldn't get close to the q-solver stuff - even with a surface tension microsolver attatched to my flip-solver. Some the discussion regarding my project and the topic can be found here: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/22272-how-to-emit-additional-small-droplets-from-a-water-drop-crown-splash/.

I'm courious what you think!

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 1

I'm (still) wondering if something like this is possible in Houdini.

Dive into a microsolver - or the help for all the gas solvers and such - and I'm pretty sure you can do whatever, it's "just" math, all of it. :D

But Yannik's setups are absolutely awesome, do question about that. :)

it's "just" math, all of it. :D

Sure, but isn't that something that's needed so often, that there should be some implemented high-level solutions, without the need to dive into vops and microsolvers and a lot of highlevel math? Like a "sheeter microsolver" or a more sophisticated "surface tension microsolver"? My only explaination is that a big flood-wave, a vast ocean or a roaring river (where those effects are less influencial/crucial) is needed more often than a tiny little drop of water, so there might be more (dev-)focus in that direction. But for commercials/advertising, small scale liquid sim is something that is asked for quite often, and there is as far as I know no real (commercial-)solution out there - except from custom built inhouse tools and now maybe the Q-solver plugin that looks very promising regarding sheeting and it's (more realistic) surface tension model.

Edited by Scratch

• 4 months later...