Authoring Interactive HLSL OpenGL shaders in Houdini

Koyotemohn

I have been asked to author some reactive openGL shaders...and while I have the material to get started on my research...and i am not gun shy of coding.

After a few keyword searched my questions concerning Houdini are:

Can you generate this kind of shader in VEX/VOPS and then export the text file and use that textfile in Xcode and Cmake?

If not then is it difficult to import my study code into Houdini to test it there?

The reactive part is basically they want the shaders to react to sound...prefer via FFT.

So far...what I have noticed is that home brew custom OpenGL can seem brighter than the standard shaders I see in the viewport....so if I code my own OpenGL shader is it possible to get better displays options happening inside Houdini?

From what I understand about CHOPs...it should be fairly straightforward to get microphone input and getting that to affect a shading attribute...the thing is that I want to be able to "bind" that to the shader...so would I have to export to Unity3d or Unreal in order to do this?

Thanks in advance for the responses and help.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/shade/opengl

So at this time it says that VOPS are not an option(hopefully that changes in version 15)

I did make a new operator type and I see three chunks of Code that houdini has so  kindly generated for me...

the vertex shader

the fragment shader

the geometry shader

I am going to get these into Sublime text for deeper access and observation.

I will update my finding on this thread.

This is very interesting, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/shade/opengl

So at this time it says that VOPS are not an option(hopefully that changes in version 15)

I did make a new operator type and I see three chunks of Code that houdini has so  kindly generated for me...

the vertex shader

the fragment shader

the geometry shader

I am going to get these into Sublime text for deeper access and observation.

I will update my finding on this thread.

• 1 month later...