A Pile of Wet Sand (snow) on another pile...

cwalrus

Hello humans-

I'm trying to put one pile of wet snow on another. The bottom layer would have much greater adhesion / different clumping, etc.

I create a sphere and then a cube as WetSand, it puts them into the same AutoDop network, which I expected and hoped for because I want them to interact. But then I can't adjust their POPGrain nodes separately. I tried duplicating the node tree above the POPSolver node, and applying the cube to the newly created GrainUpdate node, but the cube does not recognize this grainUpdate node- it still pays attention to the sphere's grainUpdate node (the original one). However, it does recognize the new GrainColor node, which is wonky!

Any help?

Thanks peeps

Hello cwalrus :)

Duplicate the POPSolver as well and then connect both the POPSolvers (of Sphere and Cube) to a MultiSolver node.

And make sure you change the paths applied in "GrainSource" node to match the correct "POPGrains" node.

Try it and let us know

Edited by sultan
  • Like 1

Drat- I thought that was it for sure. 

Two problems:

One- if i dupe the solver tree, i still have the same problem. The 'grain_update" one the original tree is still the only one having an effect. Can't figure out why...

Also, all combinations of piping the POP Solver nodes into the Multi Solver node do not work... 

Maybe a Group Particle Node?  (edit- just tried that... cant figure it out)

This seems like a relatively simple thing I'm trying to achieve but i can't find samples on the web...!

I guess I should add the specifics, because maybe I'm going about this wrong. 

Picture two layers of snow (really I'd like 3). The bottom layer is thick and wet (a high 'wet' value / high clumping value). The top layer is more powdery / less clumpy. The dynamics make the snow settle downward... so the bottom layer would remain mostly still, and the top layer would separate more. Sort of how an avalanche works. 

So what I really am trying to do is put two different wet sand objects in the same solver, but have different 'wetness' / clumping values for each. 

Even while I"m typing this i realize I can actually assign different wetness to each... however it was the "Clumping Weight" on the POP grains node that I really wanted to access separately...

Nice picturization  :)

Following are the results of 2 particle grains. And as required:

1). Both grains are interacting with each other

2). Wetness value of both grains are different

3). And just to confirm ourselves, they both have their own different particle separation values.

Output:

post-14048-0-53253700-1442043584_thumb.p post-14048-0-31379900-1442043591_thumb.p

The file:  Multiple_PopGrains_v00.hipnc

Note:

When you increase the number of particles in your sim and if they behave unstable, then increase the POPSolver's Min & Max Substeps to stabalize the particles.

Let me know if this helps.

• Like 1

Ok - thanks again for this. Here's what's frustrating: i tried the same thing when you suggested it before, and couldn't get the same result. After comparing our projects, I found that the only difference is that for some reason in the sphere object, on the grainsource node, the expression for Point Separation points to the wrong grain_update node. After I changed that, it worked.. .

Did you have to do that manually, or did it just "work" for you when you copied and pasted the POP solver tree? 

Thanks again, because I never would have found that discrepancy!!

cameron

• 2 weeks later...