Collision Detection of a particle system

I am a noob and writing a basic particle system for an assignment following SOP_SParticle.C file given. After reading the documentation several times , I don't think I grasp all the nuances in writing your own particle system.

The HDK documentation is good but is very confusing since the examples provided and Change in syntax really makes it unintiutive if I want to add features.

I want to know if I want to calculate my own collision response and collision determination and I want to get the distance from the nearest surface, what do I need to do? The reason is I want Houdini to calculate the distance of my particle from surface using its built in Octree so its efficient.

In other words I want Houdini to calculate the collision detection or at least give me the distance efficiently while I do the calculations for the bounce and friction.

This is purely for learning purposes . Any guidance in this or properly creating a custom particle sop will help.