Silly q: object files & hcustom - friends or foes?

Got a windows (cygwin) version running as well. It takes a good bit of effort to get cygwin running smoothly with hdk, but the make and ml_hcustom remain pretty similar. See this thread on making cygwin happy.

you'll have to edit hcustom.nt just a bit. Change this line

set IFLAGS = "$INCINC -I . -I $MSVCDir/include -I $HFS/custom/include -I $HFS/toolkit/include"

to

set IFLAGS = "$INCINC -I . -I $MSVCDir/include -I $MSVCDir/PlatformSDK/Include -I $HFS/custom/include -I $HFS/toolkit/include"

Then, in ml_hcustom, change this line:

sed /\$SHARED/s/\$CC/\#\ \$CC/g `which hcustom` | sed s/hcompile/hcompile\ -t/g > newhcustom && chmod u+x newhcustom

to

sed /\$SHARED/s/\$CC/\#\ \$CC/g `which hcustom`.nt | sed s/hcompile/hcompile\ -t/g > newhcustom && chmod u+x newhcustom

... Then the makefile is also pretty similar:

LIBDIR = 
LIBS = 
INCINC = -I ../../MLInclude/ 
files:= $(wildcard *.C)
objects:= $(files:%.C=%.o)
hcustomfile:= SOP_RibFile.C

%.o : %.C
        ./ml_hcustom $(INCINC) $<
        ar -rv libforme.a $@
        rm -f ~/houdini$(HOUDINI_MAJOR_RELEASE).$(HOUDINI_MINOR_RELEASE)/dso/$(<:.C=.dll)

$(hcustomfile:.C=.o): $(hcustomfile) $(hcustomfile:.C=.h) $(objects)
        hcustom -l libforme.a $(LIBDIR) $(LIBS) $(INCINC)  $(@:.o=.C)

clean:
        rm -f *~ *.o *.a

cleandso:
        rm -f *~ *.o *.a ~/houdini$(HOUDINI_MAJOR_RELEASE).$(HOUDINI_MINOR_RELEASE)/dso/$(hcustomfile:.C=.dll)

Note the rm in the .C -> .o rule... hcompile for windows doesn't create a .o that later gets compiled with g++, rather, it makes the actual dll in addition to the .o, SOoo every file creates a .dll in your dso dir unless you remove it. If you don't remove it/them, you'll just get some errors when you load houdini. For some reason, the rm above isn't working on my machine - I can't seem to delete files unless they are in ./ - I guess that's something weird with my cygwin setup.

So there ya go... Linux & windows makefiles for houdini. maybe this is old news to some, but it's been a pain in my side for quite some time now. :D

I've gone the makefile route because for the life of me I couldn't get the windows hcustom to work properly when linking .lib files.

I have a strong suspicion there is a bug in there somewhere, the linux version works as you'd expect. It did give me the motivation to build a single Makefile that works across both cygwin win32 and linux for the HOT. Check out the source for an example. I had to include a modified version of Makefile.linux from the HDK due to a minor bug, apparently now fixed.

-Drew