UpRes on a retimed LowRes Pyro / File

Alkyum

Hi guys,

I'm trying to UpRes a Pyro Simulation.

I did it once and it works, but it was a bit too fast so I just retime the Upres, it was cool until I render it (all the details were gone...).

So I tried to retime the LowRes Simulation and UpRes on the retimed simulation. But the UpRes Solver doesn't care about my retime, it just start from the beginning (frame 53, instead of 220 of the retimed one).

* I change the LowRes SOP Path

* I used directly the LowRes bgeo of my simulation but nothing seems to work.
It always start from the beginning.

Is that a bug or is it completely normal? What is the good way to work with the upRes on a custom field?

The substeps and slow motion technique is not working in my case, I'm working in a huge smoke and I want a preroll + slow motion effect.

Thank you guys !

Alkyum

retime directly in your upres step.  that would probably be the cleanest way to handle it.

also, the way upres works, it might want to generate higher rez data based on your primary sim setup rather than just taking your low rez sim data and pushing it thru your velocity vectors (which would not result in much increased resolution).

• Like 1

If I retime directly my upres sim I'll lose lot of details and the simulation is too heavy to get an early preview (10hours to simulate), it's like working in blind mode.

So it's not possible in Houdini to get a preroll with the LowRes and only use Upres on the final frames?

no, don't retime your high res sim, i'm saying handle the retime in your upres process.  the upres process has a parm to adjust your sample frame in your low res sim so you don't need to retime your lo res to disk which is what is causing your problems, i believe.

that said, you actually can do a clean retime of your high res sim if you have the velocities.  it's just a matter of doing a partial advection of the density field (ideally from the current fame forward and also from the next frame backwards and blending the two).  if you just do a simple blend, then yeah, you'll lose detail.