Displace volume?

Anti-Distinctlyminty

Hi all,

I'm having a rather tough time trying to get a volume to displace.

I have attached a hip file with an example of the thing I'm trying to do. I have a volume shape that is quite detailed and there is an animation on the mountain SOP amplitude that I wish the volume to stick to and displace.

I have the feeling this should be easy, but I'm having no luck finding the answer.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

volume_displace.hipnc

one thing about displacing volumes is that you don't get a natural normal to work with.  so picking a displacement direction requires either coming up with a normal somehow (calclating the density gradient is a decent approach) or picking an arbitrary vector (like {0,1,0} in world space to displace "upwards" in your scene).  beyond that, displacements in volumes are pretty much the same as with geometry.

so if you want a volume to match the displacement of some normal geo, you have to make sure you can properly communicate the displacement to both pieces of geo.

sorry, when i hear "displace" i think render-time displacement.  i just d/l'd your hip.  you're probably better off having an undistorted volume and using your lines to drive the noise you're generating to create your detail through some kind of pc lookup type thing.