optimal disk storage

itriix

Hey everyone,

Finalizing my new pc and just trying to decide what would be the most optimal use of ssds/hdds.  My current thoughts are:

512 gb m.2 nvme       os and apps

1tb samsung 850 pro ssd sim cache

1tb samsung 850 pro ssd current work files

2 x 4tb HDDs              file storage and backup  (thinking to go raid 1 with this)

Some questions that I have:

Is it better to have work files on separate drive as the cache?  How about rendering.  Example:

Should I have .hip file + assets on one drive, simulation cache on a separate ssd, and then a third drive that I render to?  

My second question is about the storage and backup HDDs.  Would you suggest the 2x4tb HHDs in raid 1 for my older work files (storage)?  Then maybe buy a NAS device, and use it to backup the data from my raid 1?

There shouldn't be any issue using NAS drives for my storage and backup NOT actually used in a NAS?  Only reason I ask, is because there are some really nice HGST Deskstar 4tb NAS on sale for real cheap atm!

So, i'm just trying to have a nice organized setup, with top efficiency.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Appreciate your advice!

Thanks

Those SSDs are so fast that you'll need to run tests IMO to see if there is any advantage to separating out the assets.

We recently did tests with SSDs, Ram disks and HDD, I think, and SSDs were as good as the RamDisk. 

Edit: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23766-is-it-smart-to-use-2-m2-ssds-in-raid-0-for-temporary-caching/?p=139886

Edited by tar

Well, I don't actually have the drives yet.  Trying to get advice from others who may have already discovered an optimal setup for themselves.  But I will definitely test out whatever I do end up buying.  But that would be pretty nice if I didn't need to actually split out the assets.  I do think I will still use one for cache, and then one for files/renders, just because the sim caches can get so big, that I don't think there will be enough space to share it with other files.  In fact, I may even need to just use a large HDD as my sim cache drive for huge sims, because 1tb won't really be enough anyways!

Edited by itriix