Rigging experiment Part II

sibarrick

Ok here's part II. There's a part III on the way too.

So having been quite pleased with the flex stuff I thought I'd try taking things a bit further and started playing with adding a more realistic muscle sim into the mix. And here are the initial results. As before bear in mind this is just a small test rig as a proof of concept not a full blown production setup.

What I've done is combined the idea of flex with the ideas of skinwrap. So what I have is the ability to make simple muscle primitives out of NURBs meshes which can then be used to drive the flex deformer as before and in fact could be mixed together in the same deformation.

Once again I collect transform matrices on the points that define the muscles and these in turn drive the skin deformations. The main difference here is that the muscles themselves have a volume and aren't just made from lines. The muscle primitives are built very simply using the path tool.

Anyway have a browse and let me know what you think.

flex_muscle.zip

If you don't see anything at first try changing frame, that usually kicks it into life.

Part III is about linking muscles together in a system, this means you can set up facial muscles that can deform each other before deforming the skin. More of that later......

I believe you are missing some files there Simon. The FileSOP's in the muscles are hungry.

15587[/snapback]

Ooops, forgot about those, you'll be needing this then.

data.zip

Unzip it into the same directory as the hip file. I think that should do it.

If it doesn't then go to each muscle subnet, go inside and into the muscle object where you will find a flex_muscle_prim op, set the geometry file path to where you want and click "save capture frame".

I've modified the original post too.