Help with flocking based on particle color

borbs727

Hey everyone,

I originally started this thread on the sidefx forums here, but I'm still stuck on how to proceed with this effect.

My initial goal is to get particles flocking by color.  Once I have that figured out, I need the particles to also flock around a goal geometry so they can take its shape.  In the end I'd like to have blobs of colored particles oozing/crawling around the geometry's surface.  I've done some research on flocking concepts, so I know that I need to create alignment, repulsion, and attraction forces to manipulate the particles, I'm just stumped on how to execute the concepts in Houdini.  I have the cmivfx tutorial on flocking, but it looks like some of the SOPs have changed with the years... preventing me from finishing the tutorial :angry:  

In my previous thread I was introduced to the pop steer nodes, but they're lacking sufficient documentation/example scenes so I'm having trouble getting started with them.  I think using those nodes with VEX would be the best way to do this, but I'm open to anything to get me started!

Thanks!

Mike

color_and_shape_flocking.hiplc