setting rest postion

Hey, I have an alembic of a car and it comes with the animation. And the location is way off where the origin of the construction plane is and that's okay. So my question is basically I'm trying to create a rest position onto the location of where the origin of the construction plane is. I kinda used a transform SOP and just moved the car but is there like a more methodical way of moving it to the center of the construction plane?  Thanks! 

Hey,

Not sure if i understand exactly what you want, but if u just wan't to move something to the origin you can use '-$CEX', '-$CEY', '-$CEZ' on the translate channel of a transform node! Will shift it to the center.

Keep in mind that this uses the BBOX of the ofbject, so u might get some oscilation if the object changes in dimensions during animation...

Hope it helps.

time shift set to first frame (or any frame, just make sure that its not time depended anymore), set the transform sop like marcelo suggested. do rest sop and attribute transfer the rest over to your animated geo

Edited by sekow

I'd add a simplification here: instead of doing an Attribute Transfer, just plug in your transformed, time-shifted geometry in to the 2nd input of the Rest sop. This will be faster and more accurate, it performs the same function as the Attribute Copy.

Attribute Transfer uses spatial sampling and wouldn't work in this case since the two cars will not be in the same position. Additionally it can muddle values, (this is useful if you want to blur an attribute) and is slower than just copying the attribute between corresponding points. 

I'd add a simplification here: instead of doing an Attribute Transfer, just plug in your transformed, time-shifted geometry in to the 2nd input of the Rest sop. This will be faster and more accurate, it performs the same function as the Attribute Copy.

Attribute Transfer uses spatial sampling and wouldn't work in this case since the two cars will not be in the same position. Additionally it can muddle values, (this is useful if you want to blur an attribute) and is slower than just copying the attribute between corresponding points. 

jep youre right it was attribute copy sop.

but your way is much cleaner and straight forward