Spiderman Web Launch

ItsBwalt

Hey Guys,

I'm a fairly new user to Houdini but have been trying to learn it 8 months or so, slowly. I just took on a new job that involves shooting a spiderman web. Yes, its for an actual licensed product. I found basically the exact effect I'm wanting to recreate, this one was done it blender. Mine obviously stylistically is going to change but the dynamicness of that is spot on. I'm hoping someone can at least give me a bit of insight as far as where to start or if houdini may not be the best option. I'm a c4d user by nature so maybe its obvious how this was done in blender, im not familiar with blender at all. 

But literally any hint or insight is worth gold to me.

The effect : 

Thanks so much!

This is the super rudimentary start to one way it can be done.

Essentially create 2 points and then connect them by polygon, carve, add your bends and noises.. You'd have full control. You can take things way further and randomize width and what not so your ends are thicker and thus blend into the web more, make some parts thinner etc.. Can animate the big and the small noise to be however you want.

Meh though, kind of too much manual input.

Maybe a cooler way to try is just shoot a particle from a source, add your noise in dops and then trail sop and connect by polygon then. Can create group on collision and drive the web spawning procedurally. This way any time you move the source itll just fire away and you don't have to worry about animated carves or anything. It could be a sop solver that just adds to P * noise.

Damnnn now I wanna make a web launcher solver. Anyways, key for this will probably be just trailing points in a line and connect with add and then manipulating those with noises/bends, and the web can be created with voronoi fracture just based on the right input.

Hope that helps!

spoderman.hip