Ice Shading

ragupasta

Well been a long time since I've actually been serious with opening Houdini, and I really want to figure out complex shading. I really don't know where to start with Houdini and semi-translucent materials.

The thing is I'm looking to figure out how to make an Ice shader that has a couple of obvious properties.

http://previews.123rf.com/images/sergioboccardo/sergioboccardo1102/sergioboccardo110200016/8929762-Iceberg-blue-tip-of-the-lake-Jokulsarlon-Stock-Photo.jpg

Look at the image. Particularly the large upright piece is what I'm interested in.

So the lighting is coming from the left side, which shows a soft snow-like surface that is facing the sunlight. Then the side facing the camera is a hard semi-translucent mix of a dark ice blue, that gradually falls off to a lighter colour the closer to the light source the geometry is.

I've been tinkering around with not much success so far. Tried normal falloff's, refractions ect. If this was something in 3ds and vray, then I could pull it off with using the fog attribute in the vray shader and using customized transparency.

This is something I would love to crack in Houdini, any pointers? Just to note I took a look at the snow scene thread in these forums, plenty of help on the snow, but the hard ice/soft snow mix is what I'm not getting.

I've been tinkering around with not much success so far. Tried normal falloff's, refractions ect. If this was something in 3ds and vray, then I could pull it off with using the fog attribute in the vray shader and using customized transparency.

Take a look on Uniform Volume from Material Gallery, or setup Flip simulation from the shelf and see how render is setup by Houdini. Basically it renders liquid surface mesh twice, as a refracting object and its copy with special render-time property which turns the mesh into volume.  This is starting point as for glacier like and static stuctures I would play with volumes and procedural noises to get details inside the ice. 

hope this helps,

skk.

• 1 month later...

I apologise for the delay gents. 

Fathom: Yes I have played around with subsurface scattering and it has helped a lot.

symek: I really took on what you said and I love it. Making different depths in the ice with noises in the volumes is a really neat way to do things. Turned out that your advice, Fathoms subsurface scattering and some selective light placement works wonders.

I really appreciated your input gents. Many thanks.

Ragu.

• Like 1