Velocity loss in flip

cakeray

Hello all!

I have been working on a lava simulation for the past month and I began by following the popular houdini lava tutorial by Ben Watts. For my scene I've modelled a simply environment for the simulation to interact with. So far I'm pretty happy with the viscosity and temperature variation I have achieved. One problem that I have been having is that the lava doesn't seem to flow when it reaches the foot of the "mountain". The particles die and stop where they are. How do I fix it? I would really like the lava to flow towards the camera.

The second issue I have noticed is that the fluid doesn't exactly collide with the surface. I mean to say, there is a collision taking place, but it is offset from the surface of the "mountain". How do I get rid of this as well?

Any help and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Rushil

slope2.hipnc

For the lava to continue flowing, have you tried crating a velocity volume at that point?
Or maybe make the slope more steep, or again reheat your lava at that point (make it less viscous).

For the collision, because you are using surface collision, The "thickness" tab will offset the collision to make it thicker
(press on "show thickness" to see the real collision taking place.)

So try making it smaller, or if that doesn't work for you, switch to volume based collision.

Thank you for pointing out about the "thickness" tab. I hadn't noticed that it was set at 0.5 instead of 0, so that helped solve one of my problems.

For my lava to continue flowing, I did try a velocity volume at the base where the particles stop moving. While this does work, it leads to the flow of lava to look quite unnatural! Is there anything else I could try to get this to work. I have tried very low viscosity values as well (and sometimes even switching off viscosity altogether) but the issue remains.