Per prim extrude

Hi all,

Ok, so this is slightly embarrassing but I can't figure out how to do a 'per primitive' extrude on a surface.

Basically, I have a grid that I'm turning into hexagons, and I'd like to extrude/inset each primitive or 'cell' individually... Is there an obvious option I'm missing here?

I am assuming there is an expression I can drop into the group sop to achieve this? Unfortunately my expression knowledge is limited & I'm not sure I'm trawling the help for the correct terms! :/

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! :)

extrude_example.hip

I would just use a copy stamp technique with an odd/even row detection for transform offset. This also allows you to perform other tasks such as random height which I also threw into the mix, for example. If you don't want any gap simply increase the size of the 6 sided circle.

ap_heaxagon_copy_stamp.hipnc

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 9.31.15 AM.png

Edited by Atom

Thanks both!

F1 - I knew it would be something like that... Just updated & I do now have that individual elements option! thanks a bunch!

Atom - Appreciate the setup - Have seen it in quite a few tutorials now, in this case it wasn't initially ideal because I had a deforming mesh, however you've given me some ideas to try out ;)

2 hours ago, f1480187 said:

It's right under Group parameter. Divide Into to Individual Elements. If option isn't there, it is possible that you are using ancient build of 15 (last year's).

per_prim_extrude.png

Ok, so a follow up & potentially slightly more complicated question... Is there a 'built in' way to extrude along normals?

Basically I have replicated Rohan Dalvi's look-at systems found here & I have it working well on copy points (as he does), however what I'd like to achieve is that the only primitives that are influenced by the look at are the extruded 'front1' group - so that they are always facing the sphere & the base grid remains the same.

Eventually I'll want to make multiple groups out of the 'front1' with multiple target geo's, but I think if i figure out the concept & how to get one working, I should be ok.

I'm not even sure if this is the correct concept to achieve this result, so again any help/tips/pointers in correct direction are much appreciated! Thanks :)

extruded_lookat_example.hip

lookat_extrude.gif

There is option for extruding along normals, but for me it uses true geometry normals, and ignores @N attrubute. You may construct frame and transform extruded front in local space, however.  Copying is more natural and convenient method to do such things, but results are not exact the same. Unless you have some special case, I recommend to follow Rohan Dalvi's workflow.

lookat_extrude.hipnc

6 hours ago, f1480187 said:

lookat_extrude.gif

There is option for extruding along normals, but for me it uses true geometry normals, and ignores @N attrubute. You may construct frame and transform extruded front in local space, however.  Copying is more natural and convenient method to do such things, but results are not exact the same. Unless you have some special case, I recommend to follow Rohan Dalvi's workflow.

lookat_extrude.hipnc

Thanks F1!

This is a lot closer to what I was trying to achieve - Will build on this! 

It's quite eye-opening what you managed to do with just a few nodes! :)