Slicing meshes into groups with curves

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what the best way to slice up a 3D mesh with curves would be so the result would look similar to this voronoi fracture, except with custom hand-drawn shapes.

I've seen some examples on 2D surfaces but wasn't sure how to go about it on a 3D surface

voronoi_split.PNG

Edited by axalon

Ah, wonderful, thank you!

Are there any other options outside of DrawCurve for drawing curves on geo? I tried the Curve SOP but wasn't able to get it to project. Freehand control is nice from DrawCurve, but it'd be great to be able to modify the curve after to make it a bit more tidy.

Use Resample node after drawing a curve to make it more tidy. Curve SOP accepts snapping input, but I don't know why it exists, maybe it is just an old stuff. Turn on point or primitive snapping on left viewport panel and set template or selectable template flag on geometry. Curve will snap properly.

Edited by f1480187

There is another error message in your scene file for me on 15.5.480: it requires polygon line primitive, not NURBS curve. Simply use resample to do such conversion. For the one curve at a time limitation, see my first example file how to do splits per primitive in foreach loop.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help f14! Finally got a chance to get back into this and am happily using curves to slice away. My issue is in merging everything into a group for control over all cut out elements.

In your above example you used a ForEach to cycle through all the sliced elements. I'm wondering if this is possible because you used a platonic to cut things up? Unfortunately I'm not seeing how to group together all these curves into one group node. I tried setting up the foreach node as you did in your first example but it doesn't look like I can just pipe in all the curves into the foreach element.

I've attached my progress, hopefully it's something simple I'm missing.

P.S. How can I hide the original mesh? Because I'm using a merge node at the end to group everything together the mesh isn't keeping track of all the cut out pieces.

curve_work_1_1.hipnc

• 1 month later...

The effect I'm going for is something like this: https://gfycat.com/AgitatedMedicalIrishredandwhitesetter

Displace coupled with some type of rotation. Maybe add in some RBD later on. The above example was done with the Attribute VOP, the rotation calculation direction involved calculating cross product and using quaternions. Can this be achieved with a for loop though? Feels like you'd get a lot more leverage using an attribute vop...I'm a little ignorant on how to use an attribute vop over groups like the ones generated by the polysplit node.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...