Hinge Constraint Issues

annieb

here is one way using Constraint Network with Cone Twist constriant type and custom constraint geometry using orient attrib which describes orientation of each constraint

I rearranged the setup, now everything is in GLIDER_pts object mostly for simplicity and clarity and all DOP objects are packed RBDs, even though none of that was directly necessary

S16_V721_P2_BurkeAnnie_CLIFF_v3_fix.hipnc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2016 at 7:31 PM, anim said:

here is one way using Constraint Network with Cone Twist constriant type and custom constraint geometry using orient attrib which describes orientation of each constraint

I rearranged the setup, now everything is in GLIDER_pts object mostly for simplicity and clarity and all DOP objects are packed RBDs, even though none of that was directly necessary

S16_V721_P2_BurkeAnnie_CLIFF_v3_fix.hipnc

Hey Tomas, thanks for the example hip! I had a question about what you're doing with setting @orient in the wrangle.  It seems to effect the range of rotation within the simulation. When I change the radians value in your vex code to 10 for example, the constrained objects no longer rotates as far as with 90 for the radians.  I can see that changing that value changes the cone twist guide in DOPs.  

Skimming through the help card for the cone twist constraint, I don't see where it mentions using @orient anywhere.  Can you explain what's happening here and how you knew about this?  Thanks!

@orient is there to define the initial orientation of each constraint, in this case it creates reference frame where x points up, y inwards and z in tangent direction

here is where you can read about how orient and other attribs are used by constraint network: http://archive.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.5/nodes/dop/constraintnetwork#attributes

• Like 2