Multiple cache in one scene

Hi guys

I'm working on a big scene and I have about 7 geometry ROP that I want to cache in a specific order. I know if I connect them together Houdini caches all in each frame and it will crash because of low memory. So what is the solution on this case? I want to cache a node and finish it then H automatically goes to another node.

Thank you

Edited by mosssi

Make 7 takes under your Main take.

On your Main take, go to the out or rop level and place a wedge.

Set the method to By Take and enter Main. You may have to enter a rop to render so it doesnt error but it will not cache this rop.

For take1, choose your first ROP in the rop to render parameter (same wedge)

And so on for all 7 takes/rops.

Run wedges off your Main take and it will cache all of Mains children. The wedge is acting like a proxy for the rops. You can also cache the rop multiple times, changing parms each iteration. Wedging is huge and I use it a ton.

Alternatively see this post where I asked the same question. For doing it with a file cache. 

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/43985/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yon Anadeyo said:

Make 7 takes under your Main take.

On your Main take, go to the out or rop level and place a wedge.

Set the method to By Take and enter Main. You may have to enter a rop to render so it doesnt error but it will not cache this rop.

For take1, choose your first ROP in the rop to render parameter (same wedge)

And so on for all 7 takes/rops.

Run wedges off your Main take and it will cache all of Mains children. The wedge is acting like a proxy for the rops. You can also cache the rop multiple times, changing parms each iteration. Wedging is huge and I use it a ton.

Alternatively see this post where I asked the same question. For doing it with a file cache. 

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/43985/

Thank you James, this is clever. I think the file cache method that you mentioned do all the calculation in every frames too, so using wedges is great for my purpose and I should try it now.

Sorry James. I did all you said but I could not achieve to render all with wedge node. when I press render button on wedge node nothing happens except the temp rop on Main take renders.

Could you please look at my hip if I'm somehow wrong.

Thank you again

wedge.hip

P.S:

I didn't check your latest note and you are right. It works with the second method.

Thanks

Edited by mosssi