FLIP Tank + fluid object

zeekindustries

Hey everyone!

I want to create a sim with a fluid created from an object and pour into a Flat tank sim, but I'm failing to make them merge into the same FLIP object within DOPS.

Flat tank and Fluid from Object will give me a different FLIP solver that of course will not interact, so I'm not sure how to make the FLIP object become part of the same sim.
It'd be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction, as I'm looking into the forums and can't find something close to what I need.

Seems to me that I have to make the fluid from object merge in some way into the OUT_Pts from the flat tank but I'm not sure how to feed the correct information onto the merge to have it recognized as valid FLIP data.

Any guidance will be very much appreciated, thanks!

You can't really have two flip solvers interact the way you are thinking. Ideally, you would merge both your sources together to use in one flip object and one flip solver. I have attached a new file of what I am talking about. Check out the fluidtank_inital node to see what is going on inside. If you need to assign different values to each one, like viscosity for example, you can do that in SOPS and have that pick up in the flip solver. Although in the viscosity example, you are going to want to turn on enable viscosity in the flip solver under volume motion--viscosity---enable viscosity.

Now if you are trying to turn RBDS into flip to interact with your flip fluid, Johnnys method is alot better for that and I suggest looking at that file.

tankAndFluiObj_RB.hipnc

Well, you could do what I did, there's really no difference from converting a RBD piece to points, piping it into a FLIP sim and piping the DOP import from one FLIP into a SOP solver in another FLIP - it's still two DOPs and would work the same way.

You can really do a lot, splitting stuff between DOPs and piping data between them - I'm actually planning to use a circular system in an upcoming project, piping FLIP and RBD into a Pyro sim, then piping the velocities back into to FLIP as an airfield. Though, in a worst case scenario, I suspect a setup like that might cause a quantum singularity, pulling earth into an alternate universe, killing us all. But it will be cool if it works. ;)

True, but in his case, doing all that is probably going to be overkill for what he is doing.

For a circular system like that, you plan on doing each step live? If so, that is a bold move doing a quadruple couple sim.

Hehe, I misspoke, I'm planning to test such a setup and see if it's plausible to use it in an upcoming project - and it's two sim's, one with RBD and FLIP and one for the airfield - and I'm probably gonna bake the RBD to save memory - but the idea is to sim the FLIP colliding with the RBD and feed both into a smoke sim and and feed the velocities back into the FLIP as an airfield. It might work, it might not - if it doesn't I'll just bake the FLIP too, use it to create the airfield and use the velocities in a "fill in" (smaller) FLIP as well as for the white water, mist, particle dust, etc... But this is a disaster waiting to happen in another thread, eventually. 

As for this setup - I actually haven't had time to check the file, I'm just going by what's been discussed. Perhaps I'm just making the OP confused... ;) 

Edited by Farmfield

Hey guys!

Thanks a lot for the input and the quick reply, because of the difference in hours, I just got the time to check them out. I really appreciate your help, really getting me into the right path.

Now it's more clear, I thought that the points created from the 'Points from Volume' should have some extra attribute created as velocity and such, but I can see that they only need to be generated and lying inside the bounds of the Flat Tank.

Definitely owe you guys a beer sometime.