Houdini Tile-able Ocean

Harsh

Hello fellow effects artist. This my first post here.

For a fast flying camera shot I am responsible to create a large ocean.

I am using ocean spectrum nodes to simulate it in Houdini 15.5

But the waves looks very identical to each other. Is there a way to make it look more realistic with variation and cusps?

Any reply would help.

Thanks

Test_Ocean25.exr

for a flying camera on ocean you might need several patches of grid, then you can apply same setting of ocean spectrum to match it without any visible seam on the connecting edges of two grids.

you can also do a mix of ocean spectrums to add variations in ocean. like one spectrum is for big waves and other for smaller waves. and more...

and if your camera is too close to water and its traveling fast then with motion blur you can get away and might not need much variation. but it an artistic call for you to take. 

to blend between two ocean spectrums you have to use volumemix node and connect spectrum nodes to its inputs and volumemix output to ocean evaluate.

volumemix settings: you can set mix method to add i personally like blend.

other values you can adjust according to your need.

I tried it but seems like i need to bake multiple displacement maps and then edit the shader to give me the result i want.  Sounds a bit too much but once i get the technique i will publish an in depth process on it as whole internet is pretty clueless about this. ^_^

Edited by Harsh

Baking two displacement maps seems like it is too much? It is pretty common to do that actually...

The whole internet isn't clueless on how to do this. It has been done before and you can find out how to do it by doing a quick search here on and on sidefx.

https://vimeo.com/160341035

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/26234-ocean-displacement-intensity/

Both of those links should get you more than enough information to get started.

• Like 1