Difference between substeps on dopnet and min/max substeps on solvers

papaface

what's the difference between substeps on dopnet  and min/max substeps on solvers.

If the substeps on dopnet is set to 10.The globle parameter @Frame is increased by 0.1 every substep.

If the substeps on dopnet is set to 1,the min/max substeps on popsolver are set to 10.@Frame doesn't change during substeps.

Why is that?

20160901221248.png

20160901221259.png

If you use solver substeps, only this solver gets more substeps. Imagine you have more solvers in your dop network, a fluid solver, a rigid body solver, a popsolver. If you see that the popsolver needs more substeps, you can increase the substeps on the dop node, but this increases the substeps for all nodes in the networks, even for those which may not need it. If you do it on solver level, only the nodes does substepping which really need it.

35 minutes ago, haggi said:

If you use solver substeps, only this solver gets more substeps. Imagine you have more solvers in your dop network, a fluid solver, a rigid body solver, a popsolver. If you see that the popsolver needs more substeps, you can increase the substeps on the dop node, but this increases the substeps for all nodes in the networks, even for those which may not need it. If you do it on solver level, only the nodes does substepping which really need it.

Thanks.that's helpful.

If I use solver substeps on a popsolver ,and use impluse emission.I do get more particles,which means the source node is affected.but would those nodes wired into this popsolver be affected?

and how can I tell whether the operator  is cooked on  a substep.because I want more substeps,but I don't want some code/nodes work on substeps.

q1.png

The min/max on solver is a adaptive substep that depends on the CFL condition. CFL is how far something travels in a frame. If your object breaks the CFL limit a substep will be added. It is better to use this then the option on dopnet. The dopnet option will brute force run the substep value every frame. @Frame doesn't change because your particles have not broken the CFL limit to trigger substeps.