OpenCL FLIP faster on Linux?

11 minutes ago, marty said:

yeah - building your own machine is best value

I did look into that, but the upfront cost of a refurbished T5610 was significantly less. There certainly have been drawbacks along the way (that stupid handle on the inside of the case!), but overall I am happy with my decision.

The warranty is very good. No need to futz around with RMAs and individual component manufacturers. Contacted technical support about the rail kit so I can put my audio gear and PC in the same enclosure. The technician researched and found an after-market product for me since they no longer make it. Dell has a pretty bad reputation on their consumer support, but support for their workstations is amazing.

Of course, if I had a standard-sized motherboard I could have just got a rackmount chassis for the same price as the rail kit....

• 2 weeks later...

If that's a dell T**** box that handle can be removed by drilling out 4 rivets. Second hand they are good base units for building up decent work stations.

64 gig of DDR3 ecc 1333mhz memory is available for a reasonable price on ebay. and you can fit a 8 gig gtx 1080 in there once you drill that handle out.

tho expect to pay roughly the same  for the memory and the card as you do for the unit itself.

oh re the gtx 1080 you'd need to make sure it's a version that only needs 2 additional power plugs not 4 as there are only 2 spares in the dell boxes i've encountered to date.  (dell t3600's)