bgeo Alembic Export errors

mstarktv

This has been a big pain over the past year while using Houdini. While Mantra is amazing, I am still using 3ds Max and Vray as my main driver. I wanted to do a comparison in rendering (just because) and when I tried importing the alembic file, it crashes Max. So Ialso  tried exporting the Alembic file and importing into Nuke...and it crashed that too. 

Something is going on when I export it that is confusing other applications and I have no clue what it is. I tried deleting attributes and the like, but still...crash. I setup a simple Houdini scene that just has the file import, a time shift to hold the mesh, and then an Alembic Output ROP. I know that you can't write Alembic files with the Apprentice Edition so hopefully some of you have the Indie version or above to export.

However, whatever I did to my bgeo should be obvious to someone that knows what they are looking for. The most annoying part is I have other Houdini files that write out Alembic files fine; so it is just my fluid sim cache from hell wreaking havoc.

Thanks! 

alembic_out.hipnc

v001_fluidMesh.bgeo.sc

Can't look at the file currently, but two things come to mind.

Alembics are point cache style files and not really suited to a lot of changing topology.  

NC to LC isn't a service that we are meant to do. You're meant to purchase Indie and then do a one time conversion.

20 minutes ago, marty said:

Can't look at the file currently, but two things come to mind.

Alembics are point cache style files and not really suited to a lot of changing topology.  

NC to LC isn't a service that we are meant to do. You're meant to purchase Indie and then do a one time conversion.

Oh, I'm not asking anyone to use their conversion on this. I'm just posting my setup and the cache file so everyone has access to it. That way they can import my cache and also see my file. But also, it's a single frame. I should've specified that I'm not really interested in exporting fluid sims out ONLY, but just general exporting of Alembic files.

I know reaflow has plugins available for flip fluid conversions that solves that issue.