Align normals of a primitive to a single point of another primitive

Maxc

Is there away to align the all the normals of one primitive to a single point of another primitive? I am trying to achieve a bulge type deformation with a point VOP using the normals as a vector.  Currently I can align the normals of the first primitive only if the second primitive has the same number of points. I only need one point for them to align to. Thanks.

046 displace_along_vector.hiplc

Hi Rich,

Thanks, that's great  and gives me some new ideas but not quite what I mean in this case I don't want them all to have the same normal direction. I want  each point to have a normal  derived from it current position subtracted  from the single point.  In the same  way you can use a  wrangle  with @N = @P;  this makes the normals directed to the zero. I don't quite understand how this works admittedly, I just want to control where "zero" is and have all the normals point there.

I'm after a more efficient way of what my VOP is already doing.   My issue is that I have to have the same number of points in each. 

vop normal 01.jpg

vop normal 02.jpg

Hi Rich,

That's brilliant. I didn't realise you have to initialise the add point position and also in the VOP add a constant ptnum. Thank you for your help. I've still got away to go before I understand the vex wrangles, but this helps makes sense.

• 2 years later...

On 2/4/2017 at 6:46 PM, rich_lord said:

Ohhh, I see.

Ok, here is your answer. Its done with some vector math. If you subtract two position vectors from each other, you get a direction pointing from one to the other. Then you normalise that vector to get them all be of length 1.

Here it is done with VEX and VOPS.

normals_point_away_from_point.hiplc

hi guys. I had the same question and it's solved. thank you, Richard, I just don't understand what does that constant node (that you add to ptnum node) do. I appreciate if you would describe it. thanks a lot