Wires on Particles?

Anti-Distinctlyminty

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use the points created by a particle sim, and copy lines to them, then solve them as wires. However, so far I can get nothing to work at all. Nothing ever shows up the in viewport, I don't know why.

I have tried using one dop network to create the particles, and another to solve the wires, but this doesn't work. I suspect it's something to do with the fact that the newly created geometry needs to be imported into the DOP network, but I do not know how to do this.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Wires_on_Particles.hipnc

Hi,

Here's probably one way of doing it. It sort of feels kinda old school due to the fact that I'm generating a lot of DOP Objects on the fly as opposed to the newer way of using Packed primitives. (But come to think of it, I haven't tested if packed prims do work with wires haha)
Wires_on_Particles_v2.gif

I'm not sure how well it can handle thousands of strands though..:lol:

There's also a bit of a slowdown if you're going to adjust the particle sim. This is because a CHOP network needs to read in the number of particles throughout the timeline. It would essentially need to cook the whole animation range everytime you change a parameter in the sim. So I added a note inside there to disconnect a node whenever adjusting particle sims to speed things up.

I suppose I should send an RFE about it, because I believe that it should not cook the outer node if I'm inside the DOPs context and none of my panes are actively reading the outer SOP.

I hope this helps.

Wires_on_Particles_v2.zip
Saved as H15.5.717 Apprentice

Edited by galagast

Hi Galagast,

Thanks for the response...one thing that is apparent from it is that I still have much to learn when it comes to DOPs :D I'll work through it...slowly. I think I may have to start simpler and build up.

Also, if the CHOP is unavoidable, maybe the overhead can be reduced by using some sort of sliding range ($F-5 to $F+5 or something) so that you only calculate the immediate area around the current frame.