String parsing in Font SOP

defc0n1

Hi guys

I'm relatively new to Houdini, and I've been trying to make this little digital asset. Basically what I need is to set the 'Number Of Copies' integer field of a duplicate SOP to the number of RETURN characters in the text field of a Font SOP. Is this even possible? I can do this easily in C++ but I can't get the syntax right in Houdini and I don't know how to assign it to the current field for which I'm writing the expression. I tried using the foreach() loop on the text field, but I can't figure out how to do the string comparison. Please help.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, defc0n1 said:

I think you didn't quite understand my question. Let me clear the confusion - I want to SET the number of copies AS the number of return characters in the text field of the Font SOP. Not the other way around.

Indeed, i misunderstood your question.

Strange approach, on my side, i would make an integer parameter on my sop/hda/null, then put it in font sop and duplicate node.

How do you access to text field to enter your number ?

Yeah sorry about that. It really is a weird request. I can access the text field using ch("../font/text") but I was hoping I could do like a for loop to iterate through the characters and find the number of RETURNs in it. Basically the situation is that I need a progress bar sort of a thing (using a grid) for every line in the Font SOP. For example, if I have 4 lines, the duplicate SOP duplicates the grid 4 times.

Edited by defc0n1
typo