Viewport Broken On Open

Dear users:

I'm having a huge problem with my GUI. When I open a certain file I get a viewport that has partly shifted offscreen so that it covers part of the playbar and other GUI items. I've attached an image with a red box around the problematic area.

How can I fix this problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

penciline.

post-914-1120404377_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I've seen this before. I believe it was a driver issue. In your terminal type:

hconfig -a | grep OGL

There will be a bunch of environment variables printed that you can set to try to work around this problem. The first one to try is HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE, but that will make your UI very slow. Did you try upgrading your video drivers?

George.

Hi there,

What graphics card are you using? What OS are you running? Have you tried upgrading to the latest drivers?

Also, please check out this odwiki page for more information:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/GraphicsCardIssues

The graphics card you're using will also explain some of your other graphics related issues with Houdini.

Also please search the forum for the model of your graphics card as it has probably been dealt with or has a solution available.

Cheers!

steven

Hi there,

What graphics card are you using? What OS are you running? Have you tried upgrading to the latest drivers?

Also, please check out this odwiki page for more information:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/GraphicsCardIssues

The graphics card you're using will also explain some of your other graphics related issues with Houdini.

Also please search the forum for the model of your graphics card as it has probably been dealt with or has a solution available.

Cheers!

steven

19252[/snapback]

I'm running Windows XP Pro. Using an ATI Fire GL T2 graphics card with 128MB VRAM. I have the latest drivers installed. I rebuilt the file that was giving me problems from scratch and so far I haven't re-encountered the problem. But I wonder if there is a way that I can HScript the bad file and ffix it so that the next time I open it it won't give me the foul Viewport. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks for your replies.

-penciline

Hi,

I've seen this before.  I believe it was a driver issue.  In your terminal type:

hconfig -a | grep OGL

There will be a bunch of environment variables printed that you can set to try to work around this problem.  The first one to try is HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE, but that will make your UI very slow.  Did you try upgrading your video drivers?

George.

19243[/snapback]

What do you mean by trying HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE? What value am I supposed to set this variable to? My video drivers are up-to-date.

-penciline

There is a way to maybe fix the file but it's too much of a hassle plus there's no guarantee it will work 100%. If it happens again, you can copy & paste Objects from the bad hip file to a new Houdini session.

I guess it wasn't a graphics related issue and seems to be a corrupted hip file. Apologies for jumping to conclusion here.

Cheers!

steven

What do you mean by trying HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE?  What value am I supposed to set this variable to?  My video drivers are up-to-date.

-penciline

19262[/snapback]

You can try setting that value to 1. You're on XP, so unless you are using cygwin or a command prompt, you have to set the environment variable through 'My Computer' I believe. If it is a corrupt hip file though, I'm not so sure that will help. Do you still have the bad hip file and does it still have the bad viewport after you set the software rendering option?

George.