Difference Between Gu_ And Gd_

So what is the difference between a GU_PrimPoly and a GD_PrimPoly?

They both seem to have similar attributes, but sometimes you can use one and not the other (it seems).

And what does the GU_ and GD_ mean? I've deduced that GB_ means Geometry Base Class, is that right?

Could GU_ mean Geometry Utility and GD_ means Geometry Detail? And if so, what does that mean?

Dave

I believe you are correct, Geo Detail and Geo Utility,

the GU libraries perform operations on the prims,

the GD libraries handle queries about the details of the geometry and saving/loading stuff.

GD polys inherit from GD_face which inherits from GD_primitive which inherits from GB_primitive, which inherits from GB_element, etc...

GU polys inherit from the GEO prim branch (which leads to the GB branch) and the GU_primitive...

Kinda a vague split, I think I've gotten used to it more than fully comprehending the difference.

So what is the difference between a GU_PrimPoly and a GD_PrimPoly?

They both seem to have similar attributes, but sometimes you can use one and not the other (it seems).

And what does the GU_ and GD_ mean? I've deduced that GB_ means Geometry Base Class, is that right?

Could GU_ mean Geometry Utility and GD_ means Geometry Detail? And if so, what does that mean?

Dave

19669[/snapback]

So, would doing a GD_PrimPoly::build() or a GU_PrimPoly::build() make more sense if I want to build polys out of existing points?

Dave

19672[/snapback]

You almost certainly want to use GU_PrimPoly. GD is the geometry domain library -- it is used for pasted surfaces where the detail lives on some specific domain (a NURBS surface for example).

George.

Ah, see? This is where the magic decoder ring would really come in handy. Geometry Domain Library. So it's not the geometry detail library.

BTW, I did figure out how to create the polys without adding new points. There's another argument at the end of the build() that defaults to 1--if you set it to 0 then it doesn't append the points. You then set the pointer of each vertice to an existing GEO_Point* and voila you're there.

I'll post a snippet in a little while.

Dave