Ocean Spectrum question

Hello,

I have two questions regarding Ocean Spectrum and how it works:

1) If I set an ocean spectrum resolution to 8 I get facet surface (i.e. as if points normals are not interpolated between faces), and If I increase the resolution to 10 then I get a smoother surface but with too many frequencies (see attached). My question: Is there a way to keep the lower resolution but with smoother shading (i.e. remove these facet)?  Note: I am using Mantra Ocean Shader (maybe another way to phrase the question: why conversion from ocean spectrum frequencies to mesh displacement produces such facet look? I am not expert here, but my understanding is changing frequencies should change the frequencies in the produced mesh, so even  if we have low resolution spectrum, it should produce "smooth" low frequency mesh ...)

2) If I want to ignore the ocean shader altogether and displace the mesh before rendering (using ocean spectrum evaluate), how to compute the minimum mesh resolution/division (i.e. the minimum primitive dimension) in order to capture the spectrum highest frequencies (i.e. I need to subdivide the input mesh high enough to capture high frequencies before feeding it to Ocean spectrum evaluate)? 

Thanks,

resolution_8.png

resolution_10.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :) I was able to fix the problem earlier...I remember it was a matter of grid size, grid resolution, amplitude scale ...just playing with these parameters fixed the problem ...Thanks for your help as well :)