Maya Geo Import/export

Guest xionmark

Guest xionmark

Hi all,

I would think this topic has come up a number of times, but I've searched the odforce and Houdini forums/lists and didn't find anything, so ...

Does anyone know or already have available a fully implemented GEO importer and exporter for Maya?

Thanks!

--Mark

Hi all,

I would think this topic has come up a number of times, but I've searched the odforce and Houdini forums/lists and didn't find anything, so ...

Does anyone know or already have available a fully implemented GEO importer and exporter for Maya?

Thanks!

--Mark

20447[/snapback]

Yep, Digital Domain has implemented almost complete GEO (and BGEO!) support in Maya - so it's very doable. I just don't believe we support the IndexPair attributes quite yet (pCat attrs, generally). We have also implemented the equivalent of the FileSOP for both static and changing topology.

If you have any questions, I could relay them to our developer Daniel Maskit.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest xionmark
Yep, Digital Domain has implemented almost complete GEO (and BGEO!) support in Maya - so it's very doable.  I just don't believe we support the IndexPair attributes quite yet (pCat attrs, generally). We have also implemented the equivalent of the FileSOP for both static and changing topology.

If you have any questions, I could relay them to our developer Daniel Maskit.

Cheers,

Jason

20451[/snapback]

I would have made a substantial bet that DD had built something in-house, makes perfect sense to me.

My only question would be (and I probably can guess the answer), can we get a copy of it? How many $$$'s? Probably not gonna happen but I promised I'd ask anyway.

I *really* don't want to deal with the Maya API, so we're looking for developer(s) that would be available for such a task. <_<

Martian Labs perhaps?

Maybe Daniel Maskit?

There must be a bit a market for this kind of a utility, eh?

--Mark

Guest xionmark

OK, I admit asking DD to sell their GEO exporter was a long shot ... <_<

This is such a common issue there must be someone out there who knows the Maya SDK well enough to write a GEO exporter to sell, right?

The reason I don't want to do it is I'd rather not pollute my brain with any more Maya idiosyncrasies if at all possible, it's such a mess! After staying away from Maya for nearly 2 years now I'm so deep into proceduralism that it's a real pain in the arse to try to do anything with the damn thing. :angry:

Houdini rocks!

--Mark

Guest xionmark
Sorry Mark, I was just agreeing with you that Houdini rocked!

Didn't mean to go way off topic ;)

20537[/snapback]

Oh, sorry, I've got the Monday blues, didn't catch that.

Cheers!

--Mark

Guest xionmark

Hello,

Charlex needs a GEO importer/exporter for Maya so if there's anyone available for a paying gig, please contact me.

My workload is really heavy so it's gonna be difficult if I end up having to write it, but if I do, I'll make sure it's an open source project so the Houdini community has something to utilize; this is a utility that should be available and it's surprising to me that it's not already been written (for public consumption).

The closest thing I've found is Polytrans but you can only import GEO files into Maya, and it doesn't fully support the entire range of features the GEO format offers. (Of course if I end having to write this, I may need to ask for a few incentives ... hmmm, a week skiing in Whistler sounds like a good start ... :rolleyes:)

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...

hey all

heres something ive been looking for.

a houdini to maya polygon transfer tool, very similiar to a file sop.

written by Zhang Jian

http://www.imaginecube.com/downloads.html

http://www.imaginecube.com/bin/vertexCacheDemo_082205.zip

its got potential, and he's interested in offering different types of geo and other solutions.

basically the procedure is u export ur geo's, in maya do a conversion from obj's to mcf, and load that mcf :-)

then

I adapted the obj to mcf script from zhang to allow for multiple conversion to take place for obj's.

I found this useful for anyone who wants to take data out of packages like houdini and bring them into maya.

multi conversion script

please note that one must have uv data exported aswell :-)

ie

f 1/1 2/2 3/3

not

f 1 2 3

hope u find this useful

all the best

aracid :blink: