953u6015t

Smoke Solver | Tips and Tricks

Thank you for sharing this setup ! 

Yeah it feels like the DOP's smoke is faster when it comes to single emitter like in your example, but if you have multiple emitters distributed in space, I bet this setup wins in terms of speed and memory footprint.

I really hope they'll make VDB project non divergent faster , possibly GPU based ...

see Eddy for Nuke for instance ( sparse grid + GPU = love )

On 1/27/2018 at 8:33 PM, 953u6015t said:

Basic smoke solver built within SOP solver, utilising openVDB nodes. Happy exploring & expanding =)

P.S. DOP’s smoke solver still solves quicker in many cases though.

vdbsmokesolver_v1.hipnc

If I’m guessing it right you must be Alessandro Pepe. If so, cheers for your “FX Thinking” blog!

Yes, I agree with what you mentioned. Things like independent events or trail such has the benefits.

Eddy for Nuke was interesting but wasn’t aware it was sparse!

On 8/3/2018 at 2:25 AM, 953u6015t said:

If I’m guessing it right you must be Alessandro Pepe. If so, cheers for your “FX Thinking” blog!

Yes, I agree with what you mentioned. Things like independent events or trail such has the benefits.

Eddy for Nuke was interesting but wasn’t aware it was sparse!

Thank you man , I'm glad somebody actually reads that gibberish !! :)

The more I play with your setup , the more I like it. I tried to duplicate the sphere source and move it like 1000 units away...and yes, the sim gets a bit slower, but being used to see how slow non-sparse volume grid based sims can get, it's quite an amazing feeling.

Plus one thing I love about this setup is that it's incredibly simple.

I've to create a dust trail setup, mmm I think I'm going to give this technique a try.

*OpenVDB creators, please please please make a OpenCL version of VDB advect and VDB project non divergent nodes*