Cygwin & Houdini?

BrianK

I know there is a topic on Cygwin a few spaces down, but it's two years old and is just about tcsh logins.

I can't seem to run Houdini or compile HDK using cygwin.

If I run under bash, I'm getting some sort of path error. I get a message "Couldn't open file: hkey6.5.100/hkey.ui" (running a somewhat old version of houdini on this machine). I've tried setting my path to both the long and 8.3 dir/file names with no luck. I've tried removing everything from path except for $HB and /c/cygwin/bin - still, no luck.

If I run under tcsh, I get "No valid licenses were found" at which time it pulls up hkey displaying all my valid licenses. If I run sesicntl -s, it prints all my valid licenses to std out.

in both cases, I'm sourcing the houdini_setup[_bash] file, and have fixed the _bash file so that it exports PATH properly when including HDK.

It may also be of some interest that I can launch houdini and compile HDK if I launch from the Houdini Command Line Tools.

Any ideas?

Here is a few tricks I use ...

First to get houdini working from the cygwin command line, add this to you ~/.bashrc file (and make sure that your .bashrc is being run by a ~/.bash_profile). This makes it easy to switch versions.

Notice I install Houdini in a way that avoids spaces which saves you a lot of grief with unix'y tools.

# houdini
export MSVCDir="c:/Progra~1/MICROS~1.NET/Vc7"
tmp=$PWD # so we can source the .bashrc from anywhere we want.
cd c:/Apps/Houdini_8.0.318
#cd c:/Apps/Houdini_8.0.341
#cd c:/Apps/Houdini_7.0.505
. houdini_setup_bash

if [ ${HTB} ]
then
    export PATH=`cygpath -u ${HTB}`:$PATH
fi

cd $tmp
unset tmp

To get hdk stuff going, the way I do it is to go find the VSVARS32.BAT file (look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Tools) that sets up VS.NET to run from the command line. Then find the cygwin.bat (in c:\cygwin by default) file that runs up cygwin command lines and dump the contents of VSVARS32.BAT in the start of it so it becomes something like ...

@echo off

@SET VSINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE
@SET VCINSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003
@SET FrameworkDir=C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
@SET FrameworkVersion=v1.1.4322
@SET FrameworkSDKDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1
@rem Root of Visual Studio common files.

@if "%VSINSTALLDIR%"=="" goto Usage
@if "%VCINSTALLDIR%"=="" set VCINSTALLDIR=%VSINSTALLDIR%

@rem
@rem Root of Visual Studio ide installed files.
@rem
@set DevEnvDir=%VSINSTALLDIR%

@rem
@rem Root of Visual C++ installed files.
@rem
@set MSVCDir=%VCINSTALLDIR%\VC7

@rem
@echo Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 tools.
@echo (If you have another version of Visual Studio or Visual C++ installed and wish
@echo to use its tools from the command line, run vcvars32.bat for that version.)
@rem

@REM %VCINSTALLDIR%\Common7\Tools dir is added only for real setup.

@set PATH=%DevEnvDir%;%MSVCDir%\BIN;%VCINSTALLDIR%\Common7\Tools;%VCINSTALLDIR%\Common7\Tools\bin\prerelease;%VCINSTALLDIR%\Common7\Tools\bin;%FrameworkSDKDir%\bin;%FrameworkDir%\%FrameworkVersion%;%PATH%;
@set INCLUDE=%MSVCDir%\ATLMFC\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\INCLUDE;%MSVCDir%\PlatformSDK\include\prerelease;%MSVCDir%\PlatformSDK\include;%FrameworkSDKDir%\include;%INCLUDE%
@set LIB=%MSVCDir%\ATLMFC\LIB;%MSVCDir%\LIB;%MSVCDir%\PlatformSDK\lib\prerelease;%MSVCDir%\PlatformSDK\lib;%FrameworkSDKDir%\lib;%LIB%

@goto end

:Usage

@echo. VSINSTALLDIR variable is not set. 
@echo.
@echo SYNTAX: %0

@goto end

:end

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

Then you should be able to hdkinstall and begin building with the hdk.

-Drew

I know there is a topic on Cygwin a few spaces down, but it's two years old and is just about tcsh logins.

I can't seem to run Houdini or compile HDK using cygwin.

If I run under bash, I'm getting some sort of path error.  I get a message "Couldn't open file: hkey6.5.100/hkey.ui" (running a somewhat old version of houdini on this machine).  I've tried setting my path to both the long and 8.3 dir/file names with no luck.  I've tried removing everything from path except for $HB and /c/cygwin/bin - still, no luck.

If I run under tcsh, I get "No valid licenses were found" at which time it pulls up hkey displaying all my valid licenses.  If I run sesicntl -s, it prints all my valid licenses to std out.

in both cases, I'm sourcing the houdini_setup[_bash] file, and have fixed the _bash file so that it exports PATH properly when including HDK.

It may also be of some interest that I can launch houdini and compile HDK if I launch from the Houdini Command Line Tools.

Any ideas?

20849[/snapback]

Here is a few tricks I use ...

20850[/snapback]

Thanks Drew.

I installed a newer Houdini in a more unix-happy dir e:/hfs7.0.522 - this seemed to help out the path confusion. I am able to compile now with hcustom as well - thanks for that.

However, I can't launch Houdini from cygwin - I still get "No available licenses", but then hkey shows up with all my licenses. weird.

At least I can compile.

Thanks again.

To add to the above, I've made the following modifications to houdini_setup_bash:

export MSVCDir=${MSVCDIR}
    export PATH=`cygpath -u ${HB}`:`cygpath -u ${HTB}`:${PATH}
    export PATH=`cygpath -u ${MSVCDir}`:`cygpath -u ${MSVCDir}`/include:`cygpath -u ${MSVCDir}`/bin:${PATH}

that cygpath -u thing really helped move this along.

Note that I had MSVCDir set through the windows env variables from long ago, so they come into CygWin, but they come in as "MSVCDIR" as opposed to "MSVCDir".

Now I'm compiling HDK through Cygwin without adding the vsvars.bat to cygwin.bat.

Just FYI.

still haven't figured out why I get the license error when launching from cygwin.

Thanks again, Drew.