Houdini codings

Hello firends i have a question about Houdini scriptings

i want to become a Houdini Fxartist but i have a very basic laptop so doing codings in Houdini only possible, so planed to Learn Houdini vex and Python so if i learn only codigs with all sopNodes in Houdini

"will  get a houdini job? "

Yes,. well Potentially as a FX artist who mainly makes tools / codes / programs etc. which is always needed,  But I would say you have less chance of becoming an actual fx artist if you ONLY have previous experience within Houdini coding and no actual 'FX' or simulation knowledge, - If I were you with what you've said I would learn code as much as you can (Vex/Python/C++ may even be useful to add to your CV) - And then do whatever simulation practice you can to show FX or concentrate on making optimized/streamlined Houdini tools which really aid the FX or any other process's.

(Essentially in my eye if you want to go to work as a FX artist or TD and produce simulations/renders (explosions/fire/magic etc.) as well as some technical stuff (coding etc.) you need some simulations in your reel to a good level. Otherwise with coding alone I think you may struggle to get more artistic jobs and live in the world of programming/coding (Pipeline TD's/Coders etc) which is if that's your aim no problem! BUT if not make sure to try and produce whatever simulations you can using what you have. (PS; ive been told by senior artists and recruiters often rendering isn't always necessary especially if the simulation itself is very good or accurate and presented well (something to consider when you have a lower end pc spec etc. not rendering can save a lot of time)

Hope this helps :) just my opinion on the matter

Edited by chrisdunham95
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1