Mantra - Delayed Read Archives Or Placeholders?

Hello,

I just downloaded HoudiniNC for the first time and will evaluate the software. I have a couple of questions related to rendering though...

1. Mantra - how good is it actually? I have been working with RMan for quite a while...How does mantra compare in the scanline area? I notice that it has "micropolygon rendering". Is this the same (or similar) to Reyes? Is mantra good with massive datasets - memory consumption and speed wise?

2. Delayed archives - does it have that functionality? I am particularly interested in this one, as the project I intend to do involves rendering a couple hundred detailed tree models in a lansdcape. This was not a problem for rman (in maya/mtor)...Problem is that I will not be able to use rman for this project (it's a personal project) :(((

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Hello,

I just downloaded HoudiniNC for the first time and will evaluate the software. I have a couple of questions related to rendering though...

1. Mantra - how good is it actually? I have been working with RMan for quite a while...How does mantra compare in the scanline area? I notice that it has "micropolygon rendering". Is this the same (or similar) to Reyes? Is mantra good with massive datasets - memory consumption and speed wise?

2. Delayed archives - does it have that functionality? I am particularly interested in this one, as the project I intend to do involves rendering a couple hundred detailed tree models in a lansdcape. This was not a problem for rman (in maya/mtor)...Problem is that I will not be able to use rman for this project (it's a personal project) :(((

Thanks in advance for your answers.

21445[/snapback]

Hi there,

Personally I am a huge fan of Mantra; I enjoy its functionality and it's quality and speed has taken huge step as of version 8. If you would like to get know the feature set, you can read this: http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/Rendering

Read all the Mantra links in there.

As for the Delayed reads, yes , Mantra supports that. You can also do point instancing very efficiently - and combine them. If you need guidance, write in! :)