Rendering Using Point Colors

Hi all--

I have a basic rendering question, using Houdini Apprentice. I have some colored points in my SOP network. How can I get Mantra to render them as point using the colors they have in the SOP network? I tried using a constant shader and putting $CR $CG $CB in the color parameters but I guess those per-point attributes are not available on the shader level... What do I do?

thanks

markus

Hi, use an Attribute SOP to rename the Cd attribute to diff. This will override the diffuse parameter of your shader. You can do the same thing with other parameters, for example renaming Cd to amb will use the point colors for Ambient lighting. Or you can override the refraction/reflection values of raytracing shaders, you get the idea...

Thanks, I'll give that a try!!

Hi, use an Attribute SOP to rename the Cd attribute to diff. This will override the diffuse parameter of your shader. You can do the same thing with other parameters, for example renaming Cd to amb will use the point colors for Ambient lighting. Or you can override the refraction/reflection values of raytracing shaders, you get the idea...

21473[/snapback]

• 1 year later...

It worth knowing as well that you can do this same trick with detail and primitive attributes as well as point ones, so if you want to effect the entire surface you can use a detail attribute and if you want to change primitive colours you a primitive attribute and so on...