What Is Tbf Image Format?

lisux

I have seen in recent Houdini builds a new image supported image format, is a variation over the classic Houdini RAT format, in the file type dropbow i can see:

Random Access Texture (TBF format)

Anybody knows what TBF stands for?

What are the differencies between the clasic RAT format and the RAT(TBF) format?

Thanks

I have seen in recent Houdini builds a new image supported image format, is a variation over the classic Houdini RAT format, in the file type dropbow i can see:

Random Access Texture (TBF format)

Anybody knows what TBF stands for?

What are the differencies between the clasic RAT format and the RAT(TBF) format?

Thanks

21534[/snapback]

RAT -- Random Access Texture

TBF -- Tiled Block Format

They are very similar, though TBF is more flexible.

RAT -- Random Access Texture

TBF -- Tiled Block Format

They are very similar, though TBF is more flexible.

21535[/snapback]

Thanks crunch, but why TBF is more flexible?

What are the adventages, use less memory, is more efficent to find the needed part of the texture, use better mipmapping ...

Thanks crunch, but why TBF is more flexible?

What are the  adventages, use less memory, is more efficent to find the needed part of the texture, use better mipmapping ...

21539[/snapback]

From what I've seen TBF's are more flexible as they are a more general description of data. A TBF could represent a Point Cloud for occlusion, or a Deep shadow map, or hold the data for an IPR render. They are mip-mapped like a RAT file so they are nice and efficient.

From what I've seen TBF's are more flexible as they are a more general description of data.  A TBF could represent a Point Cloud for occlusion,  or a Deep shadow map, or hold the data for an IPR render.  They are mip-mapped like a RAT file so they are nice and efficient.

21541[/snapback]

Thanks wolfwood, so i can render a shadow map like a TBF RAT?

Or i can generate a point cloud and save it using this format?

Thanks wolfwood, so i can render a shadow map like a TBF RAT?

Or i can generate a point cloud and save it using this format?

21542[/snapback]

Yes and yes.

I believe if you set your shadow maps to be Deep Shadows the format they will be stored in will be TBF.

You can save out a bunch of points from sops and then use i3dconvert -c to create a TBF file. See i3dconvert -h for more info on creating the TBF.