How to Make a long smoke in Houdini

Nicolichaoo

I would do it by preparing a velocity field based on cylinders (you create a vel attribute on each point, oriented along the cylinder, tangently). 

Then I would create a particle system advected by this velocity field, and use the particles as source to the Pyro sim, adding turbulence, noise etc.

54 minutes ago, StepbyStepVFX said:

I would do it by preparing a velocity field based on cylinders (you create a vel attribute on each point, oriented along the cylinder, tangently). 

Then I would create a particle system advected by this velocity field, and use the particles as source to the Pyro sim, adding turbulence, noise etc.

Thanks a lot, I will have a try~BTW, your work is very impressive!

35 minutes ago, Nicolichaoo said:

Thanks a lot, I will have a try~BTW, your work is very impressive!

Thanks for the compliment, I just had the chance to have brilliant educators on the various tutorials I followed :-)

If you want to go more in depth with fluids in Houdini (particularly tornados-like setup), I encourage you to look at those FXPHD tuts, as they would fit very well to what you are looking for :

https://www.fxphd.com/details/491/

https://www.fxphd.com/details/502/

13 hours ago, StepbyStepVFX said:

Thanks for the compliment, I just had the chance to have brilliant educators on the various tutorials I followed :-)

If you want to go more in depth with fluids in Houdini (particularly tornados-like setup), I encourage you to look at those FXPHD tuts, as they would fit very well to what you are looking for :

https://www.fxphd.com/details/491/

https://www.fxphd.com/details/502/

Thanks for your recommendation, I have started to learn the tutorials. And I'm wondering how long time you spent to reach the MASTER LEVEL?

1 hour ago, Nicolichaoo said:

Thanks for your recommendation, I have started to learn the tutorials. And I'm wondering how long time you spent to reach the MASTER LEVEL?

Well, honestly, I am just a hobbyist. So I have plenty of time to learn and search solutions when I have a problem. Definitely not a master :-) By the way, I am passionate about CG since the 1990’s, so long time ago, but do you the 20 hours & 10000 hours rules ? You need 20 hours of practice to become good at something, anything. And at least 10000 hours of practice to become an expert :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StepbyStepVFX said:

Well, honestly, I am just a hobbyist. So I have plenty of time to learn and search solutions when I have a problem. Definitely not a master :-) By the way, I am passionate about CG since the 1990’s, so long time ago, but do you the 20 hours & 10000 hours rules ? You need 20 hours of practice to become good at something, anything. And at least 10000 hours of practice to become an expert :-)

This is a really helpful lecture. I was born in 1990, so I was still a little boy in 1990's knowing nothing about CG.From 1990's to now, maybe you have practiced more 10000 hours, you are more expert than expert :-).I just learned Houdini from 3 months ago even though I knew this application about 8 years ago, just like the man said in this video, sometimes I felt I'm really a newbie. I was afraid of learning thousands of nodes. And now, I know I don't need to know every node in Houdini, maybe 10 nodes or just one node(I mean "wrangle":-)) can also create a very beautiful effect.You really helped a lot, Thank you so much JO:-)

I would use the wind tunnel option on the Pyro Object DOP. Enable the wind tunnel option and set the vector as the direction and magnitude of the wind tunnel.

Make sure that it is a smoke sim.

Disable anything to do with temperature. Set buoyancy to 0. Disable any temperature field in the source volume and the Fluid Source VOP.

Get rid of gravity.

Make the container size just big enough to run the sim. Very narrow.

On the Solver, disable all shaping including diffusion except for confinement. Use lots of confinement to add nice swirling detail.

See the attached hip file for one example setup.

From my sim comparing to the reference footage, a lot of finessing with either localized sink in the shoe to velocity sculpting or invisible colliders are used around the shoe to get the streamers to do what they are doing which is to be expected. That the streamers would be art directed far beyond a simple physical simulation.

wind_tunnel_shoe.hip

shoe_streamers.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, old school said:

I would use the wind tunnel option on the Pyro Object DOP. Enable the wind tunnel option and set the vector as the direction and magnitude of the wind tunnel.

Make sure that it is a smoke sim.

Disable anything to do with temperature. Set buoyancy to 0. Disable any temperature field in the source volume and the Fluid Source VOP.

Get rid of gravity.

Make the container size just big enough to run the sim. Very narrow.

On the Solver, disable all shaping including diffusion except for confinement. Use lots of confinement to add nice swirling detail.

See the attached hip file for one example setup.

From my sim comparing to the reference footage, a lot of finessing with either localized sink in the shoe to velocity sculpting or invisible colliders are used around the shoe to get the streamers to do what they are doing which is to be expected. That the streamers would be art directed far beyond a simple physical simulation.

wind_tunnel_shoe.hip

shoe_streamers.jpg

Awesome! Thank you so much Wag, it's the sim most closet to what I want:-)