Color to cloth attribute transfer

circa23

Hi guys.

I'm pretty new to Houdini and I'm really unsure of the avenue to pursue achieving this effect.

Essentially I have a grid with a solver changing the color of the points over time, like the infection system Simon Holmedal used in the HypervenomII spot. I then want to use this attribute to activate the cloth solver (black not affected, white affected).

I really stumble at what stage in DOPs I can implement this attribute. I tried to add POP force however this doesn't work with cloth. I played a little with the multisolver node and mask input to the gravity however I have no idea how they work.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be massively appreciated.

Scenefile attatched.

Cheers

Al   

Infect_To_Cloth.hip

Hi @3dome (and if anyone stumbles upon this thread) I worked out a solution.

It's a multisolver with the cloth object, cloth solver and a sop solver pumped into it. The sop solver (importing infect attrib) is merged with a pop force using a vex  'if else' statement in conjunction with the 'infect' attrib created in SOPS.

It doesn't quite work how Simon Holmedal demo'd it as the un-affected regions still react to the pull from the cloth, rather than being completely static until affected.

Scenefile attached if you're interested.

Cheers

Al

Infect_To_Cloth_Force.hip

Cheers @3dome !!

When I open the file it isn't transferring the attribute properly in DOP's, Im pretty sure Its because I'm on an older version '15.5.632'. The geometrywrangle you added is a great idea. The VEX expression is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to pick it apart and understand it a bit more, then re-build it in my previous version in houdini and see if it takes.

Thanks again for the solution, much appreciated!

Cheers