Suse 10 And Dual Head (ot)

deecue

Alright you Suse guys, I could use some help..

I'm running Suse 10 and I have two nvidia cards : a dual head gf4 ti4200 and an old cheapo single head with a vanta gpu. Originally, I configured the system to be able to do dual monitors using one connected to the ti4200 and the other one to the vanta. This took some work but through getting old drivers that support legacy gpus and editing some files (according to suse and nvidia docs), I was able to get it to work.

But now, i'm wanting to forget about that old card and just use the dual head on the ti4200. This is what I'm having trouble with. No matter what i do, I can't get that thing to recognize the second head. According to the suse docs, sax2 is supposed to recognize it automatically and provide a box labelled "Activate Dual Head Mode" with a configure button beside it. I don't have this anywhere. I've tried to get it to work with the opensource nv drivers. I've ran YOU to get the latest Nvidia Drivers and tried them. I've downloaded the package from nvidia themselves and ran it in run level 3 manually. I've manually editing my xorg.conf file to try and get another device on there. But alas, nothing.

I've read a few posts on linux forums/newsgroups about people who had this working perfectly in suse 9.3, but as soon as they got 10 up and running, they hit problems left and right using sax2 (but were able to fix it by just copying the device selection in xorg.conf and setting it to the second screen.. unfortunately, this isn't working for me) I've also read things about Suse/Novell knowing of this issue and are trying to fix it. Whether this has any merit to it or not, I have no idea.

Sorry for the non-houdini-related post, but I figured you Suse people might be able to spread some love and help me out with this. Maybe even just post your xorg.conf file so I can see what you've got going on. Can anyone on 10 see the 'Activate Dual Head Mode' box?

thanks everyone,

dave