Popping Raytraced Shadows And Displacement

cpu

While rendering a torus with a vex displacement and fast shadows (raytraced) I noticed popping from one frame to the next. it happens when I render shadows, but it's fine when I render without. I've tried a ton of things. Increase displacement bounds, shading quality, level of detail, shadow bias, quantization (-b FLOAT), patch crack (What exactly does that do???), I even increased bucket size. All of these trials were done exclusively to not introduce new issues. Any ideas?

It's a very simple test.

1. torus geometry with vex displacement and increase the displacement height to a pronounced amount.

2. light with fast shadows

3. render frame 1 then frame 2 and toggle back and forth.

You should see some displacement changing eventhough nothing is animated.

Have you tried turning the "jitter" value to 0 in the output driver? I tried your example and that's what eliminated the change between frames for me.

24919[/snapback]

Setting my jitter to 0 doesn't seem to relieve the shadow popping for me.

I changed the displacement shader on the torus to VEX fractal dent with these setting:

Noise frequency 10 10 10

Noise Amplitude .5

I tried switching from raytraced shadows to zdepth but the popping is still there. It's subtle but still evident.

???

I'm wondering which version of Houdini you're running?

Looking at this fix:

Houdini 8.0.489: Fixing a problem that leads to incorrect V derivatives of s/t global variables in mantra when raytracing.

Perhaps incorrect derivatives are being computed and causing bad filtering of the noise?

Here's my non-flickering file, created with version 8.0.410:

torus.zip

24928[/snapback]

Looks like it was a shading quality and jitter thing. Thanks so much for sending me your example file. It helped a ton. I will try it with a more complicated geometry at work today to see if it solved the issue.

Thanks