Pop Fighters!

zeinin

Sup dudes.

One of my big goals when I started to learn pops was to use them to make a procedural space battle. but It kept on getting put off untill I forgot about it entirely. Well, I had a big idea this weekend to abuse the turn pop combined with a cross product vop system to make very low level intelligent agents. Well, maybe agent is too strong of a word: more like "dots fly around and attack each other".

Here are some stills:

popfight18hm.jpg

popfight27ru.jpg

popfight31fr.jpg

popfight46bf.jpg

popfight50aj.jpg

right now, it is only a skeleton of a full fighter sim. I hope to give each particle it's own set of attributes that controls it's behivior in the fight, as well as wingmen or fighter groups that stay in formation and break dynamicly.

The basic way this works:

I grab a vector to a "target" particle, then take the cross of that and the pilot's velocity. With that, I have a basic axis to turn the dude on. I modulate the turn power based on how close the guy is to his target.

The biggest problem with this right now is the fact that it feedbacks and becomes very artificual looking <_<

Any ideas on how to make this better?

-Clive

edit; removed attachement because of proprietary stuff, fixing tommrow

e2: fixt

pop_fighters.hip

Hi Clive,

cool I was also trying to archieve a similar effect.. but by makiing a simple crowd simulator with 2 POP "squads" which would combact each other and kill opponent after a "strenght" attribute were to zero... my problems was/is to add attributes like "sight" and "enemy search"... you example made me putting a bit of time and mind on it again... looking forward to see some results.

cheers.