Specular antialiasing / Anisotropic bump antialiasing / Bump to roughness

Hello friends,

Today I watched Custom Shading in Game Trailers presentation from Sergio Caires (FMX 2018). The thing which really caught my eye was topic about anisotropic bump anti-aliasing (or specular anti-aliasing). This topic is presented at about 45:00 in the video. Please has anyone tried doing something like this? Do you have any hints how to do this kind of effect inside Houdini? :) I did not understand it good enough from the presentation, to implement it myself.

Thanks for any kind of advice and have a nice day :)

Link to the video:

Edited by Trnka

that would interest me too. it is not anything new, something similar has been implemented in V-ray a few years back (not sure how good it is as I'm not a Vray user) and I was a bit surprised then that nobody seemed to care much. no clue how would I put it into practice :) but I really hope to see this built into default Mantra shaders in the future.

@davpe I was thinking about it a bit and I am wondering if this method is only useful when using (image) textures as bump maps or also when using procedural bump maps (noises etc.). Since in the second case there is no mip-mapping, it should not create these artifacts as mip-mapping does or no?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...